Pacific Rims is a journey into the world of Philippine basketball. From street corner games played by flip-flop-clad teenagers, where the losers buy RC Cola and plastic sachets of “Happy” Peanuts for the winners, to the country's professional league, the Philippine Basketball Association, no people in the world love the game like Filipinos. I spent three years following the Philippine game, studying its roots, recording the stories of its former and current greats, and sweating my way through daily pick-up battles. The nation's passion was sometimes irrational, often impressive and always inspiring.
Recent blog posts
- Keeping my once a year streak alive!
- One year (plus!) later! Rafe's Grantland Archive
- Mark Yee and Grundy's Grundle
- New trove of YouTube treasures from Kobe Bryant's 1998 Philippines trip
- Grantland, Pacific Rims paperback and glimpses from Tony Lu's photo collection
- Announcement! Pacific Rims paperback launch in Manila
- Phil Star sports reporter tackles U.S. politics, hijinks ensue
- Guest column at Fire Quinito
- The Crispa archive, complete and available online
- Spark Mad Izm